Thursday, October 27, 2011

Born to Shop until I Drop


Ask any shopaholic and they will tell you Nordstrom's in the mecca for designer clothing. For this fashionista, it is not just the merchandise and the top labels that draw me in. The whole scene gets my going; the smell of Chanel when you enter the store, the white, glass and metal opulence of the decor, and the sheik sales associates all decked out to the nines. One automatically feels richer, more fashion forward and worthy of all the attention, regardless of the bank account.


Interestingly enough, on http://shop.nortstrom.com finding a mission statement for the company is like looking for a needle in a haystack. But those “to die for” Gucci metallic gold pumps are right there, center stage. (Check out the photo, just the way they are casually lying provides the vibe that they belong in your closet.) Digging deeper there is a company history dating back to 1887 about a Swedish immigrant who after striking gold in the Yukon, invested in a small shoe store, the incubator of the great Nordstrom chain of today. “Tack Sa mycket Johan Nordstrom".


According to the corporate website, the company's philosophy hasn’t changed since 1901. “offer the customer the best possible service, selection, quality and value.” Amazing enough this holds true – Nordstrom has the best designers, best variety, best sales, best customer service and best ambience. I can just sit on the couch all day and try on Louboutin shoes one after another and never crack the sale’s person willingness to help – even when it seems obvious to me that I am not going to spend a dime.


CCN.com says that Nordstrom is ranked 74 out of the 100 best companies to work for. Searching for “Mission Statement” on the corporate site resulted in an “employee mission statement, a diversity mission statement and a diversity vender statement”. Clearly Nordstrom is about the employee; it is all about the sales force, the experience and the value. What seems clear and according to CNN, it the ability for the company to “use good judgment in all situations” for the last 110 years. The company seems to breed the culture of every one is worthy of the experience, maybe I will not be buying Louboutin shoes today but if I ever was, I would be going to Nordstrom’s, no doubt.


Back to the service, selection, quality and value previously referenced, at Nordstrom.com’s customer service page the menu is as accommodating as its sales people. I can’t tell a lie; I did order a pair of $750 Prada boots a couple of weeks ago – to die for!!! I knew I couldn’t keep them but for little to no inconvenience and no cost, I could wear them around in my carpeted room for a whole night, pretending I am Carrie getting ready to go out with Big, without the slightest inconvenience or even gilt. It’s like Nordstrom’s is playing the odds, let everyone experience the look and feel of Park Avenue and hopefully a select few will actually buy. And certainly those who can, well, why would they go anywhere else?


Nordstrom’s doesn’t stop there. One can earn Nordstrom Notes, fashion awards, buy on-line and pick up in a store and the company will even search for you, acquire and have it all wrapped up with a big Nordstrom bow just about anything you want, even if they don’t carry it. Wonder what would happen if I ordered a buffalo, not sure what the return policy would be, but it wouldn’t surprise me if one came along with a preprinted return label just if I change my mind and want to return it for a full refund. Wish Toys” r” Us had that feature when my daughter wanted a “talking Elmo”; we stood in line for days on that one.


Below I found the original Employee handbook on Wikopedia.com which is still the foundation of the employee handbook today. Every employee is required to carry this simple philosophy in their pockets – next time I am in the shoe salon, trying on those outrageous gold Gucci pumps, I will pick that sale’s person pocket to see for myself. Actually since they are so nice to me, I’ll just ask.

Welcome to Nordstrom
We're glad to have you with our Company. Our number one goal is to provide outstanding customer service. Set both your personal and professional goals high. We have great confidence in your ability to achieve them.
Nordstrom Rules: Rule #1: Use best judgment in all situations. There will be no additional rules.
Please feel free to ask your department manager, store manager, or division general manager any question at any time.







11 comments:

  1. OMG I want to jump into that picture and put on those Gucci's ASAP! You're right, it is a beautiful picture. And I love Nordstrom. I've never been inside a store, but I frequent their website and it is wonderfully laid out. It makes me think that the actual experience would be just as organized. Sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I will gladly go shopping with you there. I've never been to Nordstrom either, but it sounds very upscale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I smell a field trip - big sale starts Wednesday, guys! We can leave after class on Tuesday for a road trip to Westchester or West Farms and be first in line! :)

    Back on topic - Nordstrom does a great job at selling "upscale". I've only "shopped" there with the few people in my life who don't look at price tags (and I'm certainly not one of them), and I've got to remember to keep the drool off the carpet in any accessories department.

    I never thought of test driving my future shoes, though - maybe I should go order those Tory Burch flats I've been coveting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What most called my atention was how the company work with employees ''Clearly Nordstrom is about the employee; it is all about the sales force, the experience and the value.'' Give this kind of respect and treatment is essential for company's success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some Disney style customer service! I would like to see what happens if you actually do order that buffalo. I think there is a great angle to providing such incredible customer service. if for some reason you did find yourself in the market for a $750 pair of shoes I guarantee the first place you would look would be Nordstrom's. Because they've made you so comfortable with their service and so familiar with their brand you would have no problems spending that money with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like Nordstrom’s goes to show that if your employee is happy they will have no problem selling your product. After all, they become the face of your company to anyone who walks in the store. I have to admit that I’ve never actually shopped at Nordstrom’s (I have a champagne taste, with a beer budget) but it seems that people are willing to pay a little extra for the exceptional customer service.

    It would be nice however if I were able to be like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (you know, minus that whole hooker thing) and just pick out whatever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely photo that gives the impression that these elegant shoes have been tossed aside after a night on the town.
    Somehow (I'm not sure why)it gave me the impression that I probably could afford these shoes just by the way they are casually displayed.
    The Nordstrom site is one filled with dreamy items that make you want to explore and probably purchase an item or two. I'm ready for the field trip Kylene!
    By the way Lucy, you do not have the proper URL for the site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy, you make Nordstrom's seem like heaven! And I have to admit, personally, I find it to be close. (I'm thinking we might need a class field trip there soon.) Obviously, every company's ultimate goal is to make money and the most basic way to do that is under the mantra "the customer is always right" aka keep the customer happy. I think you pointed out their secret way to do it is by keeping the employees happy. If the employees look like the want to be there, it is going to make the customers want to be there and have an enjoyable experience rather than the get in, get what you need and get out way of shopping that has sadly become the norm of our society.
    Of course that experience comes from the environment too. The clean glitz of the store makes you feel like you can afford anything. As a broke college grad, I can attest to the fact even when you know Nordstrom's is out of your price range, it never feels like it. Trick to get me to break out that credit card? Maybe. But it never fails to feel like you've stepped into your dream closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did somebody say field trip? I am down. I LOVE BOOTS! I started buying them because they seem best for my back. What's wrong with wanting a little more style? I have been searching for a new pair for the winter. My favorite shoe is my Hugo Boss fur-lined evening boots. Ooooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with you about the Buffalo. Maybe that will be a good experiment for TRUE customer service. How were the Prada Boots? I'm dying for a pair myself, but not sure Prada is the way to go in the snow here. Really enjoyed reading your post, and have heard the same about working there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My girlfriend used to work at Nordstrom. Just like how you portrayed it here, Lucy, this is not your average department store. I mean, this store views itself as a premium boutique. They feel as though they not only represent their own name, but the names of their products in their store. They aren't JUST a Nordstrom to them...they are a Gucci, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Prada, and any other brand they sell store.

    ReplyDelete