Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tradition


In the immortal voice of Zero Mostel,” Tradition! Tradition!
Newspapers, Radio, TV are all vehicles of traditional media relations strategies. I used to watch my mother on Sunday’s peruse through the New York Times reading upcoming designers being promoted the following week at Saks 5th Avenue, Bonwit Teller and Bergdorf Goodman.  Post war radio ads featured girls singing about nylon stockings and TV has been an institution for traditional media since its inception.
Nordstrom has utilized traditional media since the get go. According to the Seattle Post, Nordstrom started advertising shoes to miners in Seattle in 1901 at $3 a pair. Today full page ads are still favored in the Sunday New York Times. The Nordstrom catalog, something I covet the minute it arrives at the door, is a jewel of a Tradition! and the pillar piece of high end retail media relations.
Nordstrom use of new media is embracing of its customers and their feedback. Argenti refers to traditional media as the mouth piece of the corporation – a means for the company to say what it wants to say without recourse but we all know with new media such as twitter, Facebook, Blogger the voice of the people can make or break you in one signal push of a button.
Nordstrom loves its customers. Maybe that is why new media has been such a great marriage for the company. It is cult-like. Nordstorm’s brand is customer service. There isn’t a blogger out there who can deny that fact. Nordstrom blogs are all about value, tips and paints the Nordstrom experience seamless with a tea party at the Palm Court. There are e-mail updates like a secret whispered in one’s ear – shop today’s one day sale only. Before I know it I am in the car half way to White Plains. Ok, the hook has been set, I just found their exclusive application for my Ipad. Log in my Apple Id and password and bam! So am I the Cardio Queen? The Social Butterfly? The Downtown Girl? The Modern sensualist? (Really what is that?) or the Timeless Eclectic? I will take the later. Hm….Cole Haan, Burberry…..Louboutins, Louboutins, louboutins. Now on my Ipad and Iphone – when on my feet.   http://blogs.nordstrom.com/index.php




7 comments:

  1. Lucy, I absolutely love your blog. I found your final points to be very interesting, particularly re: blogs about values and tips and the secret sale emails. For such a high end store, where the products suggest a clientele that may not even be concerned with the price tags of things, I love that what the real FANS of the brands are looking for is some secret way to afford those wardrobe staples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did a great job of accentuating the traditionalism of this brand. Luxury is timeless so people will always be attracted to that, but you do a good job pointing out how the mom who used to see shoe sale adds in the paper can now get them sent right to her purse on her phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kylene above, not only is Nordstrom a high end store, but it also sells very affordable merchandise so it caters to different customers. I enjoy their blogs because they inform me about the latest trends and events!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Job, here. I have not been to that store in years. I think I'm missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit it right on the nail! Nordstrom has never needed to reinvent itself, or even reshape itself a little to fit into any media expectations of today because their traditions carry them forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your company illustrates all the strong points in this week's reading. From reading other blogs, I have found a pattern. Each industry tends to utilize new media differently, but all serve the purpose of two-way communication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nordstroms is a classic hit. i'm pretty sure that it will never go out of style. its just that classy. :)

    ReplyDelete